Learn knitting in the round using ular needles! Scarves are nice, but at point you’ll want to knit hats, mittens, s and even sweaters! What do these things in common? They’re all 3D and -shaped. In order to knit things in 3D, ll need to knit in the round.
There are ... More
Learn knitting in the round using circular needles! Scarves are nice, but at some point you’ll want to knit hats, mittens, socks and even sweaters! What do these things have in common? They’re all 3D and tube-shaped. In order to knit things in 3D, you’ll need to knit in the round.
There are a number of ways to knit in the round, but the easiest involves knitting on circular needles. Circular needles are similar to flat needles, except that the two needles are joined together by a flexible cable that allows your stitches to curve into a round shape.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN:
In this video, you’ll learn how to
Intro: Flat knitting vs Knitting in the round
1:11 Don’t Get it Twisted
3:18 Joining in the Round
5:56 Why Can’t I Get it Twisted?
7:28 What Needle Length to Use?
KNITTING IN THE ROUND TIPS:
1. DON’T GET IT TWISTED! Make sure your stitches are untwisted before joining in the round or else you’ll end up with a big ole twist in your work.
2. STITCH MARKERS: stitch markers mark the beginning and end of your round. Stitch markers can be anything round and ring-like, like a rubber band or a ring that you wear on your finger. Of course, you can also purchase stitch markers like the Clover split-ring stitch markers that I use in the video: http://amzn.to/1R9tVgB
3. MINIMISE THE GAP: After joining in the round, pull tight on your first stitch so that no gap forms where you join your work together.
4. NEEDLE LENGTHS: Choose a needle length that’s smaller than the finished size of whatever it is that you’re knitting. For example, if the finished measurements of your hat is 19 inches, use a 16 inch needle).
Needles shown in the video*:
- Knitter’s Pride 16” 7mm bamboo circular needle: http://amzn.to/1LkzrQK
- Chico Goo 24” 10mm bamboo circular needle: http://amzn.to/1LkzzzP
- Clover 36” 6mm bamboo circular needle: http://amzn.to/1R9uPd3
* The links above are Amazon affiliate links. This means that, at no cost to you, I will earn a small commission if you decide to make a purchase through the links. I’ve purchased all of these items on my own. I’ve had success using them, which is why I recommend them. However, only buy what you need! Many knitters have used other materials, and their results are just as lovely.
SAY HELLO ON THE INTERWEBS!
This video course is brought to you by Sheep & Stitch! Visit us online and say hello! (or bonjour, kon'nichiwa or hola! We love our international viewers!)
Music used in the video:
"Summertime" by YoWiLLLLLess